Bonny Slope Book Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Admin
Admin
https://bslopebookclub.forumotion.com

Ch 13 - 15 Empty Ch 13 - 15

Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:29 pm
Ch 13-15

1. Read the first two things Alexandra says when she comes to the Finch house. Are these typical of her or not?
  2. Alexandra thinks Scout is “dull” (not clever). Why does she think this, and is she right?
  3. Are all adults good at knowing how clever young people are?
  4. Why does Alexandra think Atticus should dismiss Calpurnia? How does Atticus respond to the suggestion?
  5. What do we learn from Dill's account of his running away?
  6. Aunt Alexandra involve herself in Maycomb's social life?
  7. How does Jem react when Atticus tells him to go home, and why?
  8. What persuades the lynching-party to give up their attempt on Tom's life?
  9. Comment on the way Scout affects events without realizing it at the time.

Last edited by Admin on Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:32 pm; edited 1 time in total

Ch 13 - 15 Empty Re: Ch 13 - 15

Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:34 pm
Chapters 13 - 15

1. I don't think it is normal for her to act like that because later on tells how she had great leadership and liked to help people but that time she was pretty strict and gave specific instructions, so NO

2. I think she said that because she doesn't act like normal girls and didn't play with girls but boys and I think it's true that she didn't act like a normal girl because in that specific timeline girls were less "girly" but were given strict instructions and orders but I think that's a good thing because you don't have to be like that, you can just be yourself.

3. I think all of them are because as you get older you become wiser (it says in the book) so you can translate body language and facial expressions into attitudes and attributes.

4. I think Alexandra doesn't like "niggers" and don't care for them as much as "white people" but she trusts Calpurina because she has been their maid for a long time, and I think Atticus isn't pleased with this idea because he wants everyone to everyone to be equal to another.

5. He will get a better life but not for Scout because she wants Dill to come and she wants to meet him because Jem doesn't "play" anymore because he was more mature. But it was good for Dill because he had gotten a new father who was a lawyer like Atticus but younger.

6. She is kind of the leader because she joins a lot of people in camps, markets, and volunteers, she is also a big gossip. Cool

7. He listens but acts in his own way but changes because he was becoming a gentleman.

8. From a good, persuasive talk, sprinkle of luck, and a whole lot of trading. lol!

9. She makes the situation a little annoying because Jem needs his personal space and he mostly is in the events that Scout follows, but he doesn't want Scout to follow. Rolling Eyes
Elijahkim
Elijahkim

Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:38 pm
Chapter 13-15
1) I think that it is kind of typical because she normally is a good leader but in order to be a good leader you have to be strict. So I think that it is kind of typical for her to be strict to Scout.
2) I can see why Aunt Alexandra thinks that Scout is dull but she is just expressing how she feels. In that time period, women were expected to be elegant and quiet. Scout, on the other hand, is kind of free and instead of playing with all of the other girly girls she hangs out with Jem and Dill. I think to other people in the time period would think that she is dull or not smart but I think that the author might be saying that Scout or girls, in general, should be able to express themselves freely.
3) I think that they can be good sometimes and not good others. I know that they can understand body language and other facial expressions but they sometimes still have to ask what are your feelings and how are you doing. I think that they are good at reading the easy feelings like happy and sad but when you are depressed or anxious they still need to ask.
4) Even though Calpurnia is black I think that she is trusted more than another black person because she has been their maid for a long time but Alexandra is still more cautious than if they had a white maid.
Admin
Admin
https://bslopebookclub.forumotion.com

Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:10 pm
Why did people believe that the guy with the brown paper bag was a drunk?
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum